08 June 2009

Film and Book

Hello, and welcome to another week of gaming essays. Sorry it's a day late; I was having all sorts of trouble thinking of a topic for this week. But I finally came up with one: gaming in the world of existing stories.

This has been done many times in the past; I'm sure some of us remember MERP (Middle Earth Role Playing) from I.C.E. Of course, there's since been the new system released around the time of the Lord of the Rings films. There's also the Star Wars and Star Trek games, and the Buffy game, and there's been an adaptation of Hellboy for GURPS, and so forth... and that's not even counting the countless unofficial fan adaptations floating around the internet (like the adaptation of Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere). But we all see movies and TV shows or read books or comics and think to ourselves, "I want to play in that world!"
I, for example, have wanted to play in the world of The Dark Crystal for a very long time now. As I read Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book, I see potential for that as well. I'm sure that other people have other ideas.

So this week, I'd like to hear from you, my readers. What story/movie/tv series/book/comic/etc do you want to see made into a game? Or, perhaps, you've even played in that setting?

I'd love to hear it. But I think that's all I've got for the moment, so I will bid you farewell for the moment. Game on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'll be along soon to make sure your comment isn't spam. Until then, just sit tight! Unless your comment IS spam, in which case, bugger off.